Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Midlife Cyclist having a midlife crisis... Part 2


Sub title: 'I am an Idiot' or 'What the F*CK am I DOING?'

I am not a single tracker. I was not aware that WORS is for single trackers. I should have not started my racing life in the Sport division. I am not in shape. I weight too much. Blah, blah, blah...

Race #1: Crashed within a 1/2 miles of the start. Top 2/3rds of race, top half of division. Not bad but not good.
Race #2: I suck--bad. Really bad.
Race #3: It is getting worse.
Race #4: Good 2 laps, but some bad tactical decisions. Lap 3 mechanical problems. Not an excuse, but failure on a $300 Shimano XTR rear hub is unacceptable.
Race #5: Getting better, but the single track is killing me.

I considered going back to drinking, eating and a pack a day, but now comes Chequamegon S&F...

Needless to say, I was not feeling the best the day of the race. I felt the 'cold' coming for days and on race day it was in full form. I figured enough OJ and nose spray will get me to the start and once the race starts, I will forget about it. I did.

Good start, but tactically I position myself incorrectly. But once the hills start, it is time to crush the competition and crush them I do. But something is not right, something does not feel right. I know what it is, but I am afraid to look...

The rear tire is going down. It is at that point I lay down a 1/2 mile of 4 letter words at the top of my lungs. What do I do? F*ck it. If I wash out the UST tire, so what...it would have been the icing on the cake for a sh*tty season. But for some reason, I forget about it because it is time to hit the real part of the race, the Birkie hills...and hit it I do. I estimate I dropped about 50 riders on those hills.

The final result: 88th out of 880. Placed 167 better than the previous year and 14 minutes quicker. I was not even being pushed, nor did I see anybody to pull me and I did it with about 22 lbs of air in the rear tire. The conclusion: I am capable of a top 10 in this race, even at my age. So....

I am going road and cyclocross racing in 2009. This is where I belong. The occasional WORS race and Beechwood (see below) will still work into the schedule, but this is not me.

Watch out for 2009, I am already getting pshyc'd.

No comments:

Post a Comment